The Jewels of India by Surav Thakrar/ English

The Beauty of Jewelry from India

by Surav Thakrar

 

The jewelry market of India is a dynamic one with massive sales. The Indian jewelry designs are often feminine and fashionable.  Younger generations continue to be drawn to trendy, contemporary jewelry and tend to avoid the more traditional and often heavy pieces. The younger generation from the UK, Middle–East, and China favors beautiful intricacies of Indian jewelery.

Most of the Indian jewellery available these days are handmade. India was one of the leading countries in using metals and minerals for making ornaments. Nearly 96% of jewellery market in India are led by family businesses. Some notable players like Tata’s Tanishq, Gili jewellery, Kalyan Jewelers constitute the remaining 4% share of Gems & Jewellery market.

The jewellery designs available in India are created with organic pieces such as flowers, leaves, twigs and vines. These techniques  were employed in the same manner by early civilizations while they used to put on natural jewellery to adorn their bodies. A wide range of designs are available and the most interesting fact is that each piece is unique as they come in different styles.

Different Indian ethnic jewellery is available in India like Synthetic stones, Kundan jewelry, Minakari, Phulki, Guloband, Polkhi, Jonbiri and Jhimkis.

Gold jewellery has always been the most admirable and closest choice for Indian women. There has been entire transformation of perceptions pertaining to Gold jewelry. Contemporary designs are a perfect fit on traditional dresses as well as party dresses. Gold necklaces, gold earrings and gold armlets perfectly go with a pair of jeans and top.

India was the first country to establish diamonds to the world. It was also the first to mine, cut and polish diamonds as well as trade them. The cutting/polishing of diamonds is one of the oldest traditions in India and the country has obtained a sizable reputation both in the domestic and international markets for its skills and creativity. In the worldwide diamond market this day, Indian diamonds report for 55 percent portion in value terms, 80 percent share in cartage (weight) terms and 90 percent share in volume terms. There is a primed availability of the entire range of diamonds in every size and cut.

The Kundan jadau designs (one of the famous Indian designs) come with a blend of semi-opaque crystals (Kundan) along with gold, silver and other metals. The designs are extremely ethnic and traditional and are being carried forward since historical times of kings. With time, the designs have taken up contemporary designs, but the originality of the culture is still maintained in the jewelry designs.

Indian jewelers are fashionable and trendy while at the same time adhering to the richness of its culture.   The finest jewelry is a result of an amalgamation of history, culture and emerging fashion trends in India.

 

 

 


Mr. Thakrar has been published in many newspapers and magazines both online and in print. He also has worked in the fashion industry and writes often for Internationally Known as a featured writer with an emphasis on Fashion and Lifestyle.

Leave a Reply